Learn How to Fix a Slow Computer
Some days, do snails seem faster then your computer?
Do you have a very slow PC? Can you watch all 8 Harry Potter Movies before your sluggish PC starts?
Day-dreaming about taking a baseball bat to your really slow computer?
Maybe your PC is fast, but you want to learn how to prevent, and diagnose, a slow computer. Regardless of your speed situation, stick around.
Slow Computer Solutions Anybody?
Your about to learn, in an easy to read way, everything you need to know on slow computer fixes.
Timeout Ref... Umm Mr Writer Dude, I'm not a big reader, and fixing a slow computer myself (DIY) seems too daunting. What should I do?
Option 1: Involve a 3rd party. Ask help from a computer savvy friend or family member.
Option 2: Professional Computer Help. Find a reliable computer technician (expert) by using Google, phonebook, or take a walk around your local shopping area.
Option 3: Install PC Tuneup Software.
Well, if you like option 1 through 3, then let me take this opportunity to thank you for visiting. But if your a DIY person, great - Lets get into it.
DIY Troubleshooting for Slow Computer Problems:
1. Diagnose The Problem
I know what your thinking, you already know the problem - your computer is slow. Well is it, really? Are you sure? Please read the below call center dialogue, before answering "yes".
Customer: My computer is really slow, please fix it.
Technical Support: Ok, I understand your PC is slow, but could you please explain in more detail.
Customer: Well, I am trying to watch videos on YouTube, and it takes like 10 minutes before I can watch them.
Technical Support: What else do you do on the computer?
Customer: Check my email, browse websites, umm... skype chat... it should be much faster, its so sluggish.
Technical Support: Ok, please restart the computer.
Customer: Ok... Its restarted.
Technical Support: Ok, well anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes is normal. It only took 30 seconds to startup. Try opening a few programs like, Windows Media Player, Microsoft Word, Solitaire, etc...
Customer: Ok, they started quickly.
Technical Support: Ok, would it be safe to say most of your computer activities are internet-based?
Customer: Yeah, I only use the internet, I leave the playing games and watching movies to the kids.
Technical Support: What type of internet connection do you have?
Customer: I think its called dial-up internet... I have a 56k modem.
Technical Support: ... ... (doh!)
Technical Support: I found your problem, turns out you don't have a slow computer. You have what's called "Perceived Slowdown". To you it seemed like the computer was responsible for your internet browsing being slow, but in fact, its because your on dial-up internet. To fix this problem, to make things faster, just contact your Internet Service Provider and upgrade your internet connection to Broadband.
In the technical support industry, we call it "Diagnosing The Real Problem". So, have a good think about your situation. If your confident you have a real slow computer problem - then continue reading this guide on speeding up a slow PC. However, if your unsure try reading Why the PC itself may not be responsible for your speed frustration, still unsure after reading, then email me.
Genuine slow computer issue? If so, lets take a look at the possible causes.
2. Main Causes
Recommended reading: The 14 Main Reasons Why Your Computer is Running Slow
A slow PC can be caused by any of the below:
1. Virus, Malware, Spyware - Infection (more info at Slow Computer Tip: Scan for Malware)
2. Windows Registry Problems (... How fixing the registry can speed up the computer)
3. Not enough hard-drive space (... Make the computer faster by freeing up hard disk space)
4. Severely fragmented hard-disk (... What, why and how to Defragment)
5. Too many programs open at once. PCs have limited resources, so running 50 programs simultaneously might be the reason your system is really sluggish.
6. Placing unrealistic demands on your system. You might only have 2 programs open, and the computer ends up being really slow. This may be because your doing tasks that consume lots of "memory and processor" power. For example, DVD Burning, Watching Movies, Graphic-Heavy Games, Editing Graphics, etc.
7. Outdated/Failure to meet system requirements. System Requirements refers to all software, and hardware pre-requisites for x to work efficiently. Computers have various hardware specifications, some PCs have 1.6 Ghz Processor (CPU), and others a 3.2 Ghz, etc. For example, if you have only a 1.6 Ghz CPU, but the game Battlefield 3 requires a minimum 2.6 Ghz, then the game will either not play, or will perform poorly.
8. Corrupt/Misbehaving Program. Any application installed on your computer can wreak havoc on your systems performance. Every program utilizes system resources, if the program has been poorly designed, or has errors, it will misuse your computer, and cause system slowdown, possibly even a complete freeze. Memory Leaking is the most common example of a Misbehaving Program.
9. Not enough RAM (Random Access Memory) (... RAM and its impact on computer performance)
10. Lots of unnecessary programs automatically loading when the computer starts. (... Disable unnecessary startup programs to improve PC speed)
3. Slow Computer Solutions
Recommended reading: 35 Solutions on How to Make Your Computer Faster
Slow Computer Solution Articles: »
Hope I helped,