Tips on increasing your internet browsing speed
We all wish our computers would run like they did when we first brought them home and began to use them for the first time. Unfortunately, computers slow with age, and it begins to become frustrating and we search for answers and solutions. Below are a few tips that will help you to improve the speed of your computer and the speed of downloading websites.
1. Test the speed of your Internet connection at a internet speed testing website such as Speedtest.net. Once you have tested, record the results.
2. Before you go to great expense or time consuming techniques, talk with your Internet Service Provider about the speed of your Internet connection (the results you recorded in step 1 will come in handy here). You might find that you don’t have the highest speed available and are actually paying the bare bones minimum for the lowest connection speed they offer- which can be the cause of your slow internet speeds. In other words, consider upgrading your internet plan for better connection speeds.
3. Check the add-ons that you have installed on your computer that may be the cause of your computer’s slow down. Disable any that are not necessary. It is far too often that we install add-ons that we really don’t need, and, in turn, the add-on causes our computer to slow down.
4. Make sure that you utilize your anti-virus software and run scans to ensure that your computer has not been a victim of a virus or other malicious attack.
5. Access “System tools” and perform a disk cleanup and disk defragmenter.
If after these steps, you still have a slow running computer, then it is time to move on to the following steps.
1. Clean up Window’s Registry. To clean up your Window’s Registry you should use a program, such as, PC Tools Desktop Maestro, as cleaning it up manually is risky!
2. Free up hard disk space. To make this step easy, you can install a program such as Tree Size which will list all the programs on your computer. Once you have the list, start deleting everything you don’t need.
3. One thing many computer users do not consider and that is that they have too many programs open and running at a time, which, can slow the computer down. Only open what you need.
4. Corrupt / misbehaving programs. You may have an application that you have installed on your computer that is corrupt or misbehaving. When this happens, it definitely will slow the computer down.
5. Possibly, your computer does not have enough RAM.
6. Check to see if your computer is overheating, as this, too, is a cause of a slow running computer.
7. Check to see if your computer has unnecessary programs loading when the computer starts. If this is the case, you will need to remove them, as this is a cause for a slow running computer.