Make the computer faster by freeing up hard disk space
Computers have need of a certain amount of free hard disk space to operate correctly and perform tasks like file swapping (virtual memory), storing temporary files and other various odds and ends. If there is adequate space to perform the previously mentioned tasks then further free space will not (or will have little) affect on the speed and performance of the computer. However if the space required to perform the above mentioned tasks is unavailable your systems performance will be adversely affected and your computer slowed. The computer will be faster if there is approximately 10% or more free space.
You can free up hard disk space by:
- Removing temporary files;
- Remove and unwanted programs or files;
- Transferring files you want to keep like photos and movies onto a portable storage medium and then deleting them from your computer;
- Running disk cleanup utility
- Running other 3rd party software
If you need to free up space I recommend browsing around for candidates for deletion using the start menu, windows programs uninstaller and or 3rd party application like TreeSize which is designed to list all files on the computer starting with the largest to the smallest.