Slow Computer Tip: Scan for Malware
|Malware is the collective word for viruses, trojans, spyware and a horde of other malicious code designed to harm your computer and personal information. Internet Security, Firewalls and Antivirus are programs used to rid your system of malware and protect it. Certain Malware can cause your computer to malfunction in various ways such as slowing down your computer.|
How do I know if my computer is infected with Malware?
Malware infections are typically easy to spot as they generally cause your computer to behave in an unsual manner. On occasion though infections can go unnoticed because they stay hidden, running in the background causing mischief like Harry Potter wearing his invisibility cloak.
Examples of Malware mischief:
- Popup advertisement on your PC;
- Programs behaving differently or not opening at all;
- Missing files or corrupt files;
- Random popup messages for example “we have infected your computer with a virus and this message is just to taunt and annoy you, thanks for your time”
The best way of snuffing out Malware is to use Antivirus software as it automatically scans your computer for malicious code when you access files, automatically in the background and on-demand
Recommendations for combating Malware:
- Install Internet Security or a Firewall and Antivirus combination;
- Keep your virus definitions up-to-date – in other words make sure security software has the latest updates;
- Run a full system scan for Malware at regular intervals – at least once a week;
If you don’t have Internet Security then check out the full list of internet security programs I have reviewed by clicking here.